Painting a Frog and Platypus for Badgers and Burrows

 


I've been painting up some more miniatures for Burrows and Badgers- I can't get enough of them at the moment. Coming off the back of painting up all those Orcs for Middle Earth SBG, it's so refreshing to: 

A) paint something much more colourful and different 

and

B) paint individual characters that I can spend a bit of time on, and put some care into the painting so they're exactly how I want them. (I just don't have the patience to do this on 25+ Orcs...)

The beauty of Burrows and Badgers is all your miniatures are characters- because you only need 4-6 to create a warband, so I'm taking my time with each one.

Starting with my Platypus then


This is a 3D printed miniature, sculpted by Cobramode (who from what I can tell really likes Platypuses? There are definitely a lot of different sculpts!) and the 3D printed for me by a store on Etsy called Terrafig. They were able to give me a custom scaling to get the Platypus in scale with B&B.


The only additional thing I did to the miniature was to glue a small holstered pistol onto the backpack (there is no weapon otherwise) from the Dead Mans Hand Plastic Gunfighters

For painting:

Clothes: Baneblade Brown, Seraphim Sepia, Banblade Brown (highlight)

Sash: Macragge Blue, Asurmen Blue wash (OOP- the new Citadel Blue Wash is hopefully similar!), Macragge Blue (highlight), Altdorf Guard Blue (highlight)

Backpack: Rakarth Flesh, Agrax Earthshade, Rakarth Flesh (highlight)

Fur: Dryad Bark, Agrax Earthshade, Dryad Bark (highlight)

Map: Morghast Bone, Seraphim Sepia, Agrax Earthshade


Really happy with how it turned out- I feel like I enjoy this high contrast highlighting, with a slightly 'messy' finish is my favourite way to paint at the moment. 

I decided on this pose for the Platypus because in the game, Platypuses are rare creatures (you can only have 1 in a warband)- which makes sense as the game is set in fictional not-Britain. It appealed to my sense of humour to have the Platypus dressed up as an explorer, and to have an exotic black powder weapon. This will be for my main warband, an eclectic mix of creatures that have taken to being outlaws due to the harsh rule of the King of Northymbra after their riverside village was destroyed by the King's army. I'm not exactly sure why this, clearly esteemed, explorer has joined them- but I'll sort that out later.


The second miniature I painted was this frog shaman. I got this from the Etsy store 3Dresinprintstore. I can't find any information on who sculpted it, so I have to conclude the store owner did? (Please correct me if you know better). Just like the platypus, the store owner was more than happy to rescale this slightly for me.


The main colour here was the rich blue robe- which is the colour I've chosen to tie the warband together.

Blue Robe- Macragge Blue, Asurmen Blue wash (again, OOP- the new Citadel Blue Wash is hopefully similar!), Macragge Blue (highlight), Altdorf Guard Blue (highlight)

Belts & Pouches- Mournfang Brown, Agrax Earthshade, Mournfang Brown (highlight)

Staff- XV88, Agrax Earthshade. Details- Khorne Red, Nuln Oil or Celestra Grey.

Flower- Celestra Grey, Druchii violet on tips of petals.

Skin- Straken Green, Athonian Camoshade, Straken Green (highlight). Eyes are Averland Sunset, with Abaddon Black pupils.


I tried something a bit different for the base here- to give a water effect. The bases I used were already recessed a bit, so I only applied the basing material to half the base. I then painted the flat base with a mix of green and light brown (I blended these whilst wet). When this was dry, I used PVA to give the impression of water. It worked quite well, and the lily pads (which are just painted paper) help to sell it. The gloss from the PVA actually does reflect the light, so the shadow/reflection of the frog slightly shows up.

This is going to be my magic-user for the warband- but is by no means a master wizard. Frogs aren't anything special with magic, so I'm going to be selecting a simple spell for this little frog to cast.

I can't recommend these models enough- I'm really impressed with the 3D printing I've ordered for this game (more painting coming soon!) The frog especially is adorable- and the store owner on Etsy told me he's printing several a day to meet demand, so clearly it's proving popular. All these 3D printed miniatures seem to be made for D&D, so are all the same height of 28/32mm- but the beauty of the 3D printing is you can rescale!

I'll be back soon with more animals I've painted!

Comments

The Hobby Breakfast Show

The Hobby Breakfast Show Youtube

Popular posts from this blog

Aeronautica Imperialis: Thunderhawk Review

Creating Middle Earth SBG Crebain out of AoS Miniatures

Dead Man's Hand Plastic Gunfighters Review

Blood Bowl Sevens- Old World Alliance vs Halflings (S01GW01)

Middle Earth SBG: Saruman and Grima Review

Blood Bowl Sevens- High Elves vs Porklings (S01GW01)