Hobby Update- 2021

 


A quick Hobby Update, or rather an update to say that not much hobby is happening... I'm currently in the process of moving house, and so, I packed my miniatures and paint away to be ready for the move. This means that I won't now be able to do much hobby until, realistically, the New Year.

As is always the case, as soon as I packed away my projects, I've been unable to stop thinking about wanting to do some hobby (an unfortunate side effect given that it is often difficult to motivate myself when I have my paint station ready to go!). I thought this would be a good opportunity for myself to look back over 2021, take stock of my completed hobby projects, and look at what I have still to complete. (Note: the photos are not great- as they were taken during packing).

Miniatures completed in 2021:

  • Tzeentch Chaos Warcry warband- At the beginning of the year, I decided to make a Warcry warband- mostly for fun, but also for the possibility of playing a game or two of Warcry if it ever pops up. I wanted to build a Chaos band, but something different to the boxed warbands made for the game. I settled on some Kairic Acolytes, and used half a box to make a warband.
It's safe to say, they're not very competitive... But they are lovely miniatures! The weapons are inspired by the conjured weapons from The Elder Scrolls games.


  • High Elves Blood Bowl Team- When Blood Bowl 2020 was released towards the end of the year, I had picked up the Boxset (a fantastically good value way to start the game!), but decided I also wanted to create one of the 'teams of legend.' Having seen a few conversions of the Shadow Warriors box online, I decided to try my hand at making my own High Elf team.
I do like this team, and they've done well in the 2 Sevens games they have played.


  • Treebeard and Quickbeam- The release of a plastic Treebeard, accompanied by Merry and Pippin was my favourite release of the year. The kit was great fun to build, and a treat to paint- replacing my old metal Treebeard in my Ent Moot with a far more size appropriate leader for the army. Quickbeam, as my second in command, was my first ever ForgeWorld model. Quickbeam is a fantastic miniature, but the flash on some of the delicate leaves was difficult to remove, and he didn't feel like you got quite the same value from the kit as you did from the Treebeard set. These miniatures were used in one of the few games I managed this year, playing MESBG, and Treebeard was the hero of the day, winning a victory against all the odds.
Treebeard is great- definitely my favourite Kit GW have done this year!

Quickbeam is a very good miniature- but if it weren't completing my beloved Ent collection, I would find it really hard to justify Forge World prices!


  • Some Kroot- A slightly random purchase, I painted a very small group of Kroot for Kill Team. I had originally planned to expand on my Kroot force, but ultimately decided not to, as I didn't want to buy the Finecast miniatures in the range, and couldn't think of a good proxy miniature to convert into the hounds or Krootox.
These were a fun little project, and perhaps one I would return to, provided GW release some plastic Kroot...


  • Epic 40k- Black Templars- Building my Epic Black Templar force in the Autumn, I have completed a small Epic 40k force of Space Marines, which are patiently waiting for their foes to be completed. 
I've been detailing this project on the Blog this Autumn!



Miniatures still on the painting list:

  • Blood Bowl- My Black Orcs and Greebo P-Orclings are still sat, in various stages of painting. 
  • Epic 40k- My Ork force is mostly built, and partially painted, whilst the Chaos Knights are built and primed.
And there was 2021 in painting- not a bad year, though my Summer was very unproductive (these projects were all done in the Spring and Autumn). I'm hoping to finish off my painting of Blood Bowl and Epic 40k, and then look for a new challenge in 2022.



*Bonus*

  • Kharadron Overlords Warcry warband- Not my project, but I thought I would throw in my Partners painting from this year, a small Kharadron force (containing a few well known characters!) She only dips her toe into the hobby very occasionally, but the Kharadron stomped my Tzeentch force quite handily when we tried Warcry...
Cheers!



Comments

The Hobby Breakfast Show

The Hobby Breakfast Show Youtube

Popular posts from this blog

Aeronautica Imperialis: Thunderhawk Review

Creating Middle Earth SBG Crebain out of AoS Miniatures

Dead Man's Hand Plastic Gunfighters Review

Blood Bowl Sevens- Old World Alliance vs Halflings (S01GW01)

Middle Earth SBG: Saruman and Grima Review

Blood Bowl Sevens- High Elves vs Porklings (S01GW01)